Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gump

Forrest Gump has to be one of my all-time-favorite films. We just watched it once more a few days ago and I was engrossed all over again. The character of Forrest Gump reminds us all (and teaches some) about the realities of life. This character portrays (in an innocent way only the mentally challenged can) every single emotion given a label.
"My Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." It was spoken with unparalleled innocence in a fashion only found in the character of Forrest Gump and portrayed by Tom Hanks, the two having become in my mind, synonymous; when I think of either the other comes to mind.
"Mama always said dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't." This makes me want to reach out and hug him....and oh how I sure also wish dying wasn't a part of life. Even if the dying have moved on to a better place (I believe that's so) it's still so hard to say goodbye.
"Stupid is as stupid does."...........and so by their actions are they stupid who call others so.
"That's all I have to say about that."..........how to say it more simple, caring, honest and innocent I don't know.
"We was always taking long walks and we was always looking for a guy named Charlie." A young man like the character of Forrest Gump should not have been taken to war but many were and I'm sure many lost their lives.
"My mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can move on." He took everything his mama said literally, applied her advice to living his life and didn't grow bitter or seek revenge.
"Mama always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them." His mama was his rock. I could weep at the loss an individual such as Gump would feel to lose her from his life.
"She got the cancer and died on Tuesday. I bought her a new hat with flowers on it. And that's all I have to say about that." Explanation enough. He didn't offer needless words to evoke sympathy from anyone even though his heart was broken with the loss of his mama.
There are so many quotes from this film; it's hard to choose just a few to comment on.
Forrest Gump came into my life because he was on my television screen in my own living room. He touched me in countless ways and wiggled his way right into my heart (along with his mama).

1 comment:

Linda J said...

What a wonderfully written tribute to not only a film of endearing proportions but the lessons we take from it into our own life.

Thanks, Grace.