Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sometimes

(Writing Prompt WWU May 08, 2010)
 
"[But] we accept irony through a device called metaphor. And through that we grow and become deeper human beings.” 
                                                      ― Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore
(Do we now? I'm not altogether sure about that; are you?)

'Life is a rat race' conjures up certain images; of rather large mouse-like critters with long skinny tails scurrying about in underground dark sewer pipes, eating any dead or decaying matter they come across. They run about, over, under, beside or atop of each other, coming and going every direction in a hurry, fighting each other for food scraps discovered, and looking for a way out of their predicament. Rather than just flippantly repeat this metaphor, if I think about its meaning or implication, I don't think 'life is like a rat race' at all, even though it can become trying at times. I'm also not sure how, through this metaphor, I have grown or become a deeper human being.
 
'Life is a fox trot' brings to mind a happier scenario even if pretty quick paced. As I think about the fox trot I think about dancing in general which could mean the waltz, the square dance, the polka, the schottische, the line dances; the list goes on, which sets a varied pace and different circumstances. Most of these dances are done with a partner so that would mean life with a partner (as the music plays).
Not a bad picture of life on the dance floor although out of necessity, I would have to beg to sit out a few along my journey of life. What could life be while I was sitting out? Hmmmmm.
 
'Life is a dog walk'.......now that could ring some bells for me since I have very often commented to my dog 'ah to have your life would be so grand' but again when I really think about it I can see a few down-points to living life as a dog. I wouldn't want to give up the luxury of the toilet, nor the privilege of eating at a table, the ability to get a drink if I was thirsty, food if I was hungry. It wouldn't do anything for me to be covered in hair all over my body or be accidentally left outside in the rain or be led around on a leash.
That is but a few images I see when I envision life as a dog walk so again after thinking about it seriously I don't think of life as a dog walk.

'Life is a ladder' kind of goes with the quote by Miley Cyrus "Life's a climb but the view is great". This urges the mind to go UP and up and up; I see a never ending climb though, rung after rung after rung, with the possibilities of good things 'just over the next rise' which never seems to come. Somehow life with expectations that never materialize doesn't make me jump for joy; I would have to say I wouldn't describe life as a ladder.

I must be careful with the metaphors of life; if our life is not what they allude to we might not elude their allusion.......:)
 
Sigmund Freud said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".
 
I say 'Sometimes life just is'..............what do you think?

No comments: