Friday, February 26, 2010

Absent

2010 Vancouver Olympics

Although sometimes it seems like I'm absent from thought (or has thought been absent from me?) I have really only been absent from my blog. It has now been over two weeks since I have written so here is my attempt to get back into the routine of writing again. The past two weeks have been both full and empty - full of events & activity; empty of creative spirit (which sometimes escapes me completely).
The 2010 Winter Olympics being in Vancouver seems to have afforded a number of opportunities to be out & about doing things. I was invited & attended a Women's Hockey game (Canada vs Slovakia). The fanfare was very Canadian & at times it was difficult to see or concentrate on the game without getting caught up in the atmosphere of excitement. I have to thank Aaron for the opportunity to take part; it was very enjoyable & I otherwise wouldn't have gone because we hadn't planned on or gotten tickets to any of the events........thank you so much Aaron; I will cherish the experience & memories.
We wandered around down town a while after the game (I was with Katie's mom & dad....the young-uns went off in search of more excitement than they would alternately have found with us). I'm not a fan of large crowds so was just as happy to find a small eating place (I was treated to my first Thai eating experience.....thanks to Sharon & John) & then we aimed for the sky train & headed towards home.
Danielle came to visit for this past week end so we got to spend Sunday doing Olympic activities with her. We visited the Aboriginal Pavilion; they had a 45 minute live show which was excellent........well worth seeing. After that we went to see the cauldron, took some pictures of and with the flame. By then it was time to search for a place where we might watch the Canada/USA men's hockey game. We ended up not finding a place where the action was but took a bus to Karli & Tobias' restaurant. We ate & watched the unfortunate Canadian loss there. We started out on the sky train at 8 am Sunday, got back home around 8 pm and (hard to believe) did only those three things. Good grief!
There are a lot of new films out that we hope to see. Avatar captured our attention so we went to see that (in 3D) & really enjoyed it. Shutter Island also enticed us & we found it was pretty much as the book (often not so).
Computer problems have demanded much attention over the past few weeks. We got new computers & have had our fun. I was only able to get on the Internet intermittently & that gradually grew worse until I was unable to get on at all. That was a challenge.........especially for me because I have little patience for technological (or programming) issues........I just want things to work without troubleshooting on my part. After replacing the hard drive, I think we finally have 'most' issues ironed out (touching wood). Not being able to get on the Internet gave me added time off from such things as "Farmville" (a totally addictive game) so that was and is a good thing! Bye bye Farmville!!
Amidst all the goings on a problem tooth gave me cause for concern. The infection seems to have calmed down but I will eventually lose the tooth; I'm just trying to hang on to it as long as I can. Some days I think I should have just had it out rather than try to buy whatever few days I might still have with it (good grief grace sounds like a comrade or something). In any event a tooth ache was not at all an added benefit to my life!
I am looking forward to going to Edmonton/Sherwood Park for a visit in March. Hopefully spring will be on the way by then & the weather will not be toooo wintry as March can sometimes be in Alberta.
So much for my absence.......!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... was wondering why you had not "graced" us with your writing presence... lol... glad you are back!

Busy Busy Busy

Looking forward to seeing you soon and don't bring any wintry weather with you either -it's been quite nice and sunny here lately. Hope that sticks around so you can enjoy your visit.

Twilla Boyce said...

Can't wait to see you again! AND to meet George! If you guys check out my website, you'll see another 'george' who is pretty cute, too! Have a safe trip out here.