Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It Was November 1980

My heart is truly sad to write this blog today;  I feel so inadequate to pay tribute to Doug but I want, in some small way, to recognize this distinguished human being; one I feel so honored to have known....Doug Christie.

It was November 20, 1980............I heard for the first time, a very brave Douglas Christie speak to a packed audience at the Jubilee Auditorium in Edmonton. This rally followed closely behind the announcement (by the Trudeau government) of the National Energy Policy......Doug spoke about the need for Western Independence.

It was March 11, 2013......I received the news that Doug was gone; he had died of Metastatic Liver Cancer; a shock to everyone because only two weeks previous he had been in court defending a client and was insisting after his visit to hospital that he wanted to go back to finish the case (not wanting to let his client down). Doug would defend freedom no longer......he was indeed himself, finally free!

Thirty three years of defending and fighting for our freedom.......WOW!

During those thirty three years Doug defended many whose rights were being threatened and more often than not he was placed in the same category as the accused. He spent his entire career consistently, passionately and with determination fighting for our rights and freedoms and defending those whose freedom was being threatened; he for certain, 'took the road less traveled'. Doug was loved by many supporters and hated by many who felt threatened by his love and defense of freedom. On occasion his supporters would find themselves also in the position of those who questioned him, simply because of the nature of such a warrior!

Also during those thirty three years Doug added to his legacy, caring partner to Keltie and devoted father to Kalonica & Cadeyrn. They are richer for having him in their lives; he was blessed to have had such a partner standing beside him and the love and support of his family.

There seems no solace when we lose a loved one; I cannot say you will forget; I cannot say the pain will go away; I cannot say something else will replace his presence in your life.........I can say one day you will be able to talk about him with a smile; the pain will become less intense; you will remember fondly life with this wonderful and intricate man and be able to talk about him without the incredible sadness you are feeling now.

My love and thoughts are with you now and in the days ahead as you go through this terribly sad part of your lives; I know you will find the loving support from each other needed to weather this storm.

As a final tribute to Doug I want to say that 'he might have hurt me sometimes with the truth, but I always knew he would never try to comfort me by telling me something that was a lie'. Thank you Doug for fighting for so long and hard for my freedom. We are all better for having known you.

No comments: