Monday, January 17, 2011

Absolutely

For a long time this word has really irritated me..........there is nothing wrong with the word; a word after all is just a word; the OVERuse of this word though has hastened me to the doorstep of abhorring the word itself.
Absolutely means without exception, completely, wholly, entirely.........I can use a word with that definition.........but do we really really really need to use it as an answer every time someone asks a question that could be answered with a simple yes. I'm not suggesting we use only 'yes' as a reply; there are many affirmative choices we could make but absolutely it seems, has allowed us to guarantee everything. I don't feel the need to guarantee my responses; how about you?
The word 'absolutely' has become so OVERused and accepted that one could have a two way conversation in which one party could speak only the word "absolutely" and be fully engaged in the exchange especially if one party were a seasoned 'talker'..........picture this conversation taking place between two people where the one using "absolutely" nods the head occasionally, smiles, folds and unfolds the arms and looks on as the other talks (of course the talker finds occasion to use absolutely as well)......
"Hello Jack, god it's been absolutely ages since we ran into each other, I was just thinking about you the other day, is everything going ok with you?"
"Absolutely."
"Great, well I just got a promotion so I'm at the top of the ladder now with my firm and get all kinds of perks, trips for the family, new car to drive, things are going absolutely wonderful, I assume you are still with Whineypoo International, are you doing ok there?"
"Absolutely........"
"Wow it's sure good to see you, we will have to get together sometime for a coffee or lunch maybe. I can fill you in on our latest promotions, maybe you would even support my current campaigns, every new customer counts, do you suppose I can count on you?"
"Absolutely......"
"Thanks I'm so glad I can count on you. I gotta run now; is your phone number still the same?"
"Absolutely......."
"OK good I will give you a call; we can get together and go over the latest. It was good talking to you........the family is well?"
"Absolutely......."
"Bye Jack have an absolutely successful day and hope to see you soon!"
"Abso..............."
Hmmmmmm exagerated, I know but sometimes this word is used to that extreme and it drives me NUTS. I wish I could absolutely remove if from the English language.
There are a few other words and expressions that drive me mad but none drive me quite as NUTS as ABSOLUTELY!

1 comment:

Linda J said...

I most certainly agree... absolutely :P

There are those words that irritate just because of their overuse, misuse, or downright abuse. Your conversation makes me wonder of the purpose someone finds in simplistic answers such as that - are they bored, unknowing, or just rude and condescending? Perhaps the attachment is like a tag of sorts, something someone can call their own or be known for - personally, it would be more like "awesome..." but we could probably apply your whole essay to that as well. Good post - food for thought.