Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What is a Writer

"What is a writer?" I used to ask. I didn't know exactly what a writer was, thinking it was surely someone much more than what I was (whatever that meant and whatever I was). I thought of a writer as someone who wrote big beautiful books for me to read; I didn't write big beautiful books for you to read (or any kind of books) so I wasn't a writer. I thought of a writer as someone who was a well-known name; I wasn't, so I wasn't a writer. Truth is I was 'just someone who wrote some poetry and a few short stories'........I wasn't a writer.
As time passed and after joining a writers' group I eventually learned that a WRITER was someone who WROTE.........it was that simple. Whether I ever publish big beautiful books or my name becomes 'household', I write, so I am a writer.
Writing plays a big part in my life; I write poetry, I blog, I write short stories (some true, some fiction). Through my writing I am able to show my family how much they mean to me (I write poems for my grandchildren; their birthdays, sometimes Christmas, other occasions or just because). Being able to express feelings by writing, was a meaningful outlet for me when my daughter Carla passed away. Putting my thoughts on paper allows me to express, in artistic fashion, many facets of my life and the many emotions that make it full. I am able to reach other people and touch their heart with my writing, whether it is to make them smile or shed a tear; that is rewarding.

Writing is something I can do at home, away from home, at work, at play, on the move, in big spaces, in small spaces, outside, inside, with a pen, with a pencil, with my computer, in the morning, evening, middle of the night.........the list is endless; how many things can you do that offer as many choices in which to act, as that?
I find topics (or sources) to write about from everywhere; even places or situations that wouldn't seem to offer one possible spark of an idea.......that is, if I stay aware and keep my eyes, ears and nose peeled for the seeds. In addition to finding sources for writing all around me, I sometimes write from Writing Prompts. Wherever I locate my notions, if the writing bug bites at the time, I must write about it (whatever it might be, serious, funny, sad, crazy, or even frightening) at work or play.
One thing for sure is that I love to write and when I stray away from it for a time I feel like something is missing. I get a sense of accomplishment when I have written my idea or thought to completion.

WWU Writing Prompt May 12/12

No comments: