Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mocha to the Vet

About a week ago we discovered that Mocha had ear mites. We treated her with some essential oils. It seemed to do the trick but there was still a lot of dark bits coming out of her ears so we thought it best to get it checked out. We took her to the Vet yesterday. Fifteen minutes & $135.00 later we were home making dinner. After many questions of the front desk attendant (the girl had to keep running back to ask the Vet for answers to my questions.....why the Vet didn't come talk to us I don't know.....guess I didn't demand it) we finally found out there was no ear mites (so we had cured that) but there was a bit of inflamation (for which she gave us some ointment). My oh my oh my. I think the whole thing could have been avoided had we known the mites were gone........but we didn't & so it wasn't.......darn!
We did learn though, Mocha has gained about three & a half pounds since her spaying which is not good. She has acquired quite a taste for almonds & sometimes would get as many as 20 a day (we taught her to 'sneeze' for an almond). Now we have to try to cut down her eating (actually we have to discipline ourselves to decrease the treats & people food. That will be a big help. I'm not sure what happened; "No-People-Food" used to be my rule! Hmmmmm.........:)

1 comment:

Twilla Boyce said...

awww, poor Mocha. It has taken me many dollars and frustration to learn to be far more demanding of my vet. Like when I took Tucker in with a bad epileptic seizure. Well, worse than he had ever had but still quite mild in comparison to how bad they can be. Anyway, the vet staff at the animal hospital (this had to happen on a Sunday when our vet's office is closed) suggested we start an IV in case he had another seizure so that meds could be administered quickly. I told her 'no'. The seizures are mild and I was only her to check on his leg because he took a very bad fall when the seizure hit. Seriously...the IV would have cost me another $200 at least! Then, when I took him on Monday to our regular vet, she was hesitant to put him on meds. I told her how the seizure had struck without warning and when he was perched on the arm of the sofa and he had a very bad fall. Thankfully nothing was injured past sore muscles this time but I wanted mild doses of meds because where would he be next time? What if he was coming down the stairs when a seizure hit. I simply insisted and got them. He hasn't had a seizure since. Honestly,... I should be making the big bucks for having some common sense. K, I'm done now... that's the end of my rant. I'm glad Mocha is ok now.