Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day


I don't remember my father being at home. He left before I was four years old so I don't really know what having a father is like but I imagine that I would have loved a father like the one I write about in this poem.......In place of my missing father I had two wonderful brothers who stepped in and took his place; They are both gone now but I will remember them always and be thankful for the role they played in my life. This is my Father's Day tribute to them and all the fathers.

HE

HE............
helped me find worms
find a safe place for them to be
built me a wagon for hauling
a cradle for my favorite doll
sang lullabies to me at night
listened to my silly songs
tucked me in, read me stories
always heard the tales I told
wrestled with me, tickled me
threw me up as I giggled
helped me to ride my new bike
cheered as I struggled on my own
seemed always to be present,
for the disappearing broccoli
smoothed things over with mom,
at most of the required times
gave me chores and taught me how
reassuringly worked beside me
taught me how to drive
loaned me the car sometimes
HE...........
took my hand, we walked, we talked
was strong as he lifted me from a fall
gentle as he held me close after a bad dream
was reassuringly proud
as he walked me down the aisle
lovingly thoughtful as he wiped away a tear
first from my eye; then from his
HE...........
was always there
My dad

No comments: