Thursday, December 31, 2009

Beauty or Beast

She stared back at me from the shiny reflection hanging on the wall. There was a smile (or was it a smile); a frown (or could that have been a grin); to know for sure she would have to look deep inside for the answer; the reflection just wasn't going to give her the answer she wanted or needed.
This was the very place with two sides to everything. What is considered evil on one side may be judged good on the other. What is true here, could be lies there. The future might even come before the past.
As the blank page yearns and even demands attention there is another which commands input and examination.
The mirror.
How often have you looked into the mirror to find something other than the truth looking back at you.......something other than what really is. Depending on what we look for & how the reflection is received we may find anything from a white dress in black to a floor-length robe hanging above the knees with even some vivid evidence of the bright smile on a frowning face.
I would like to look into the mirror just to examine images of this past year; to see what it is I saw in 2009; to see what it is I have yet to see in 2010. Keeping those thoughts in mind, perhaps my looks into the mirror will take on a whole new reflection!
Don't just clean this mirror every week; look deep into the amazing sheet of sparkle everyone hangs on their wall....see what you saw....see what you have yet to see!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mirror has given us writers many things to reflect on... lol... But really, Joe's poem about the Man in the Mirror is a classic in our group. I have written many "reflecting" pieces as well. True, it holds in store what we see if we look deeply, beyond the surface... I love the pictures, for the artist in me absolutely takes to the reflection images - beauty in beauty. And although I recall what I saw, I sometimes wonder "what was I thinking..."