Monday, December 28, 2009

Can You Imagine

Now I say, can you imagine having a birthday three days after Christmas? I have been asked that question countless times. She tells of never getting a birthday cake (maybe a yukky (her words) Christmas cake decorated in some fashion), getting birthday presents wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper, never having a birthday party.........all the things near & dear to the heart of a beautiful little girl. All the while this was happening (sadly I admit being a party to this) I was off working to help earn a living & doing all the things I thought a working mom needed to do. What I wasn't doing was baking a marvelous birthday cake for my wonderful little girl, wrapping her gifts in pretty pink paper with a matching bow, having all her friends over for the biggest bash on the block, serving amazing punch, roasting marshmallows, playing games & just generally giving her a fun Birthday.
I regret not taking the time to give her 'Birthdays to Remember'. I wish I could turn back the clock & do it over but we all know that isn't ever to be in any situation. Those days can't be recovered; they are gone.
Today is December 28 and my daughter's birthday. Tammy, I wish you health, good fortune, happiness and good cheer for today and the whole year and I especially want to tell you how much you are loved......today and forever!

2 comments:

Twilla Boyce said...

Mom to Mom...I feel your pain. I would suggest, though, that it is never to late to send that gift wrapped in pretty pink paper with a beautifully matching bow. Just because we maybe fell a bit short in past...doesn't mean we can't do it better now. Don't forget to remember all the things you did right. I think it is wonderful that you can voice this regret in such a beautiful genuine way.

Anonymous said...

Every hurt is weighed against a pleasure and as mothers we have all have had to sacrifice whether consciously or unaware of doing so. We can look at the product that stands before us now and if we truly love them in the now, they won't remember that hurt or at least, it won't be quite as devasting. I think as parents we can look both ways, to our own children and to our own childhood and recall a similar example.