Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas



These pictures don't depict what Christmas is but seem to be what Christmas has become. There is a longing in my heart to get off this wild, crazy merry-go-round of buying, buying, buying with the excuse 'it's Christmas'. I love the spirit of giving (any time) but have come to resent that we have fallen into a pattern & certain expectation surrounding Christmas. I'm sure that I may sound rather like a scrooge but this particular holiday is getting out of hand. I can't change it for everyone but I could change it for me.......
I long for a Christmas day with 'family', nice dinner, a few games, lots of laughs & just being together without all the added craziness.......a feeling of just being & letting be.

2 comments:

Twilla Boyce said...

Ohhhh, truer words are yet to be spoken! That is why I was eternally grateful that the kids finally talked Bryan into doing the 'draw names for secret santa' thing. It went off without a hitch and was extraordinarily liberating! This is something that will continue, I'm sure. And...I have encouraged my kids to consider starting things off right in their own families (when kids come along) and continue the 'draw names' practice. Looking back, our kids wanted for nothing and I don't view that as a good thing. We've had lengthy discussions about it and they all agree that a simple heartfelt Christmas is far better than a million presents under the tree. Alas...hind sight is 20/20 but perhaps the next generation can make progress in keeping tighter reigns on the commercialization that the world has made of this blessed holy day. So...(raising a glass to you), here's to a Christmas full of family, good eats, a few games and special moments...all of which will be stored beneath our hearts in very brightly colored memories!

Anonymous said...

Just wrap up some love, health and happiness and we got the best gifts on earth!

And friends, like you both!