Thursday, December 31, 2009

I Want to Explore the Woods

In a poem (Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening) Robert Frost wrote:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep

Of course everyone interprets the written word to have a different meaning & this verse from a poem by Robert Frost has, I am sure, been analyzed by millions & interpreted by as many more. If I look at his words & compare the promises he writes about to the promises we feel compelled to make & label 'resolutions' on the first day of every New Year it illustrates (on one hand) why I don't make any grand promises (resolutions). It tells me that if I did I wouldn't be able to stop to explore the woods (lovely, dark and deep). I would miss the beauty waiting there in the woods. I would miss the sounds; chirping of the birds; croaking of the frogs. I would miss the sweet smells of the wild blossoms. I would miss the peace & serenity found there. I would miss exploring this whole new world.

So.........in my words:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
and I have no promises to keep
Though I have miles to go before I sleep
I cherish beauty in these woods so deep

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AH,Robert Frost - one of my favorites as he clung to the rhyme and covered meaning in metaphors. This is one of my favorites and as you say has been and will be, interpreted in as many ways as those reading it. I disliked the classes that professed to say "this is what it means..." and love your interpretation of its owning meaning in your own writing life. It's like Garth said ..." I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance..." See the WFSC web site for new Saturday writing prompt, I too, used Robert Frost to inspire new work. Beautiful blog, my friend.

Twilla Boyce said...

I REEEEEEEEEEEALY WANT TO GO THERE...RIGHT NOW!