Thursday, January 21, 2010

Did You Find What You Expected?

Two men were standing near the entrance each with a bag in hand, one bulging with produce, the other containing only a couple items. The full bag was held by a man who stood tall smiling the biggest brightest smile; the bag with few items inside was held by a man slumped down scowling at the ground. "That was a wonderful shopping experience with so many fresh vegetables to choose from. I will make my family a delicious dinner tonight. I will be sure to shop at this market again" said the excited smiling man. Responding to that the other man barked "I have never seen such rotten produce with so little to choose from. I will not even be able to make my family a small salad for dinner. I won't be coming back here to shop again".
This is similar to the tale of two men visiting an ancient city with a gate keeper who prompted the two visitors about what they could expect to find once inside the gates of the city; one he told would find friendly helpful people, a lot of produce to choose from with many bargains; the other he told would find unfriendly people who wouldn't help him, who wanted only to take his money & give nothing in return. The two visitors reported to the gate keeper on their way out of the city, saying they had each found exactly what they were told they would find.
Whether the two men shopping at the market were actually promted openly about what they could expect, I believe they were indeed prompted. They went to the market each with their own expectations and not foresaking them, these expectations (prompts) proved true.
What we expect to find, I believe is exactly what we will find. If we go out expecting to find dishonest people who are not willing to help us, that is what we will find; expect to find honest people who are helpful then honest people will be waiting to help us.
On occasion I get a surprise but most times I find what I expect; how about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to stay fast to my belief that a positive outlook is much more apt to attract positive outcomes. We must have expectations because they set the perimeters for the things we hold dear enough to seek sand give us guidelines to judge them by. If we set our expectations too high, however, there is no way to keep going, remain positive and find all that we hope to. If we set them too low, then we settle for less that what we really could achieve. I expect to find many things yet have not done so; I expect to find nothing yet have filled dreams - is there rhyme or reason to this?

Anonymous said...

'FYI... that is not "seek sand" lol it's "seek and" with little more than expected...