Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Lesson


A Lesson

In all things, perhaps buried deep, there is a lesson
lose it not from sight
It can seem somehow there is no chance of winning
but it's worth the fight
In all things, perhaps buried deep, there is a lesson
find it and hang on tight
It can seem somehow the sun has gone from our life
but it's probably just night

This little verse, I wrote for a friend a couple years ago and I come back to read it now and again because all too often I have occasion to question what has happened, not necessarily to me although sometimes, but to my friends and loved ones, asking the one question we have all asked at some time or other......WHY. It's the one thing I struggle with most I think.....accepting. Although everyone has different beliefs, I believe that we are all here on a predetermined path of our own choosing and yet I sometimes have such a hard time accepting the way things unfold.
"Why does life have to end before it has begun?" I ask when a wee babe dies before they have learned to crawl........as I hold closer my very precious beautiful babies & grand babies.
"Why do so many innocent people have to suffer?" I ask when the wars with seemingly no purpose continue..........as I remain safe, warm and protected inside my own home.
"Why are there so many starving people in the world?" I ask when I see pictures from the third world countries........as I scrape the bits remaining from a plate that has just held a delicious meal.
"Why did that young mother have to die?" I ask when the drunk who drove the car that forced hers off the road receives a meagre a fine.........as I am still able to drive down the street.
"Why did she have to leave us?" I asked when my beautiful daughter went to bed and didn't get up the next morning............as I remain here and miss her every day.
"Why, Why, Why"...........there seems never an answer........but I know

In all things, perhaps buried deep, there is a lesson.......

I just have to continue looking (and looking) until I find it..........and sometimes the answer might be just as simple as.......'it's probably just night'.....

2 comments:

Twilla Boyce said...

I, too, wonder 'why'. I think the question is universal and remains unanswered to a great degree. To a great extent, many of my question of 'why?' have been answered by the following: 1) Nature is wondrous, magnificent and powerful but equally brutal and unforgiving. 2) The innocent most often suffer at the hand of evil people and their actions. Unfortunately, as long as there are evil people in the world, the innocent will suffer. 3) Some events occur without any malice or forethought. They are simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

In no way, do I propose that I have the answer to all the 'whys'. That would be ludicrous and hugely presumptuous. These little truths, though, have enabled me to make some sense of a few 'whys' in my own mind. However, gaining some understanding of the 'why's' does not make them any easier to deal or cope with. I am still left to feel the pain/compassion/heartache that results from all these significant 'why' events.

As you ponder your own 'whys', know that you are not alone in your wondering. Your family and friends wonder along with you.

Anonymous said...

I hope my family and friends do not wonder on my "why" questions...they may be in for a long night! It appears at times that some of us seem to attract the events that lead us to "why" more than others (I would include "why me" here but I think that's more of a whining than a true question of "why") On a personal level our "why" questions are as important as the next but as we look over the news lately and the catastrophic events that occur there are many of us with big "why" questions that will never be answered. I don't expect to get the answer to my own let alone the ones that plague the universe.