Sunday, January 3, 2010

What I Don't Have


It seems I always want what I don't have.
Another year gone.....I look back one year; getting ready to go back to work after a couple weeks off thinking I needed at least another two weeks; I am thinking today that I need to get back to work (sometimes maybe) or at least have a little outside interest. Seems I always want what I don't have.....(gotta get a handle on that!)
We had, by the beginning of 2009, the worst winter for snowfall that BC has ever experienced, George telling me it was because they were trying to make this Albertan feel welcome & at home here. I recall wishing the snow would be gone & driving would be back to normal in this crazy-driving-place (my label). This year I was thinking that it really is nice to have a white Christmas (at least for the day). Once again I want what I don't have.
USA swears in the first black president last year; a historic event. I recall being glad about that & remember thinking how I quite liked him, watching all the broadcasts that came along. The TV coverage of this event went on forever to the point I was wishing I had never heard the name Barack Obama & longed to be watching something elce (anything elce) on the tube. Yet once more I want what I don't have.
During the year we saw a few plays at Surrey Arts Centre, attended 'The Symphony in the Park' in Burnaby, we spent a nice week away in Reno, spent a very nice few days traveling Olympic Peninsula, trip to Winnipeg, a cruise & week in DisneyWorld, shared a few visits with Aaron & Katie (always a highlight for me), we attended Shelby's graduation (a very special occasion) & had nice visits back home & attended the Writers' Group & Shelby's school production of Romeo & Juliette, I congratulated a good friend on the birth of twins, did some 'dinner 'n movie' things with family, ended a job, did some 'across the border' shopping, had visits from 'baby Levi', found a juice that improved my 'knee problem', traveled to Arizona when George's dad passed away, saw some upsets for Aaron with his football season both playing and coaching, saw the death of a dear friend & fellow writer. (Now, how was that for a long, dis-jointed sentence?)
We had a very busy, full year.......I was tired & longing for an end to hustle 'n bustle. Now it's over I am looking for 'something' to busy myself with (besides that Farmville good grief).............True to form I want what I don't have.
Did you notice here that (other than my Newsletter) I did such very little writing?
.......(gotta get a handle on that!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutelty love it! And you have nothing to write about??? Please - even with the long-winded-dis-jointed sentence ...lol... there is vast accomplishment and lots of living! I love your newsletter - it always keeps me close to what you are doing and now I love your blog. We, too, in Alberta want what we don't have either - Grace - but we have a wonderful part of her - her writing and sharing as a friend in whatever form that takes. Happy New Year and here's to trying to another year of wanting :)

Anonymous said...

p.s. I typo'd "absolutely" wrong - dang it!

Twilla Boyce said...

This article reminds me of my blog title: You Get What You Need I think of all the things I'd like/want/wish for and I'm puzzled as the list is actually getting shorter! What does this mean? I'll tell you one thing I'd like to have but don't...you! I miss you lots but I'm so glad you started blogging. It keeps me connected between newsletter arrivals :)