Monday, January 18, 2010

Dreams Add Texture



Having heard it said that 'dreams add texture to your sleep' I would have to conclude as well that 'dreams add texture to your life'.
To answer the call (thanks Twilla for the topic) I will try to tell you about my dreams, lost and living.
Sadly and in hindsight, I think I grew to become afraid to dream. Probably because of many disappointments, some hurts, some stumbles, a few falls and the like, my dreams remained in the background, safe from scrutiny and failure; so far back and so safe from inspection they became lost to me. I recall now that I held back from expressing excitement, happiness, new ideas, dreams, always afraid of their reactive power on others and more, I was afraid of being told the dream was somehow inappropriate or even a waste of my time or any number of other like comments. What better way to snatch away dreams from someone......to treat them in such a negative way. I seemed to learn to be wary about what others would think of me.......if I did this that or the other.......if I didn't do this that or the other.
A couple dreams survived though............
The first, rather contradictory to my person because I don't especially like daring midway rides (the roller coasters etc.) but I have always wanted to learn to fly.......an aircraft of course (well yes I would like to be able to fly myself too - guess that could be considered a dream!). I think at this stage in my life, the odds of accomplishing this dream are now slim, but I still have the dream. I still think of what it would be like to be able to fly an airplane among the clouds, watching the scene below, wondering what all the those 'tiny' folk were doing or thinking right at the very moment I passed by.
The second, (although I think, a little less stronger than a dream) was to learn photography. I have forever taken pictures & had an interest in the field, just never taken any courses to further that interest. Most times I haven't even learned how to operate & take advantage of all the features on my camera.
I am still learning not to worry so much about others & what they think of what I do, say or what I would like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's never to late to fulfill some dreams and others we have grown to accept were passing fancies that might have came to fruition if acted upon at a certain time. As time passes they become more ellusive and somewhat impractical. I too dreamed of flying and even ski diving but now, in all honesty, please ... why leave a perfectly good plane???? The photography... well Grace, that is most certainly a possibility still. :)

I will post on dreams too...

Twilla Boyce said...

There are companies that will take you up in a bi-plane and allow you to steer while in the air - a sort of co-pilot experience. The pilot is right there to jump in should there be difficulties. I don't see why you could not do something like this. The photography is a wonderful art to pursue. Photos are like any art...there really is no wrong or wright as long as it speaks to you! I say, go for it and at your own pace. You are a kind and considerate person, Grace. Sometimes we fail to afford ourselves the same consideration we give so freely to others. Don't forget to be kind to yourself. You only answer, in the end, to one person. If a good person is pleased with themselves, other kind folks will see the value in them as well. Thanks for sharing.