Wednesday, January 6, 2010

She Went That Way


from: 'The Road Not Taken'
"Two roads diverged in a wood and I -
I took the one less traveled"

- Robert Frost

I have been meaning to blog this topic even since Linda suggested I check out the Saturday writing prompt on the Writers' site but as in life when working gets in the way of playing, other ideas kept getting in the way of my words on this topic.......which brings up another point; I wrote a poem that talked about the fork in the road; alas I can't find it; can't remember the name of it; so I gave up looking; I will discover it again when I choose the path that leads me to it.......BUT anyway here goes.....
Like most, I have come to crossroads along my journey & had to make the choice to take this way or that. Everyone makes these choices in their own way, often using elaborate methods of measuring, counting & weighing. How do I make my choice?.......almost always by 'gut' unless the choice is so blatantly obvious I don't need to check my instincts. Has this served me well? I have to say yes because I firmly believe that even what seems a wrong choice affords some benefit (at least of learning; even if the lesson seems minute in relation to the journey & not readily discernible) and also I believe it was the choice I was supposed to make. Sometimes it seems we are never shown the benefit of our choices though I feel certain they exist.
Sometimes difficult to accept is the fact that we have even made a choice when so many times it seems fate has just dealt us a rotten hand. Truth is (as cliche as they come) having made no choice is having made the choice.
When it seems clear & I think I have made a wrong choice, is it easy for me to accept that I have made the choice intended?............of course not..........I still work on that, trying to find the lesson in everything.
I chose to stay in a marriage that was less than joyful for both of us.
I chose to leave that marriage when a 'less than joyful situation' seemed no longer worth the effort.
I chose to move to Virginia when (in hindsight) it would have been to my benefit in many ways to remain in Alberta.
I chose to leave home & family once again & move to Surrey to be with George.
I chose, I chose, I chose, I chose.......I could go on but I think the long & short of it is, my choices were made in order that I could follow the path I came here to walk, filled with a lifetime of learning.......and oh the lessons!

1 comment:

Twilla Boyce said...

I agree that each path leads us to opportunities of learning. It is never a waste if we do actually learn. It boggles my mind to think of those who continue to wander aimlessly in circles, all the while, wondering why the same problems continue to plague them. I'm so happy you are a smart cookie!