Saturday, January 9, 2010

Laughter, the Best Medicine



I've heard many hilarious things 'out-of-the-mouths-of-babes' or have just been able to laugh myself silly as the little one giggles in wild abandon at something toe tickling. I cherish those funny times with the kids and grand kids when they were small.
I'm not quite sure though if it's the times or if it's just me but so much of what is referred to as humor 'is just not funny' to me. What have I missed? Am I just getting too old?
Seriously though.........
There is the dude standing in front of me on a stage shouting every profanity he has ever learned, in his opening line. The crowd laughs uproariously - I sit like a bump on a log because I don't see it as funny.
How about 'America's Funniest Home Videos'.......the little guy comes ripping down the hill on his little saucer and SMASH!! he hits a post at the bottom. Ha Ha Ha - That's so bloody UN-funny I can't contain myself.
I love a good laugh as much as the next but when someone is humiliated or hurt I don't consider it laughable.
I think sometimes people laugh at things going on because others around them are laughing. That's sad - I can find enough to laugh at (including myself) without being a monkey and immitating the one next to me.
Laughter really is the best medicine but I want to laugh, not because the label says it's funny, but because something tickles my senses (even if it's just the teensiest bit south of normal).

1 comment:

Twilla Boyce said...

Here, Here! I couldn't agree more! I can't stand watching funniest home videos or, worse yet, the pet version. What has happened to our society that we think unfortunate events: water from a water hose going up the nose of an inquisitive toddler, boys/men getting whacked in the crotch, pets getting frightened out of their furry skins. Seriously? People laugh at this? It's sick! Give me kittens romping up a curtain - that's funny, babies laughing during their first game of peek-a-boo... ahhhh, pure humor.